Tuesday, May 27, 2008

As Promised

As promised, here are some shots from my drawing books of the studies that I've been spending my time on. I've taken a break from my other drawings to focus on the installations. These are meant to get me looking at the spaces more closely, help me to distill the parts out of the images of the spaces better. Hopefully, theses drawings will influence the installations, maybe some of them might become installations. Most of them are from Baroque Palaces and some are from Gothic Cathedrals. I will probably get into some Vegas imagery as well. Using the ball-point pen helps me to keep the drawings fast and to focus on the look of the space rather than the finish of the drawings. I do find myself loving the marks... and loving making the marks, however. These are really meant only to be studies but I could see them leaping onto nicer paper, or perhaps onto the wall at some point. I think the better ones, of course, are the more ambiguous drawings. I'm struggling with adding too much information, and not getting at that "essence" or "glimpse" that I'm looking for.












Below is the diorama that I built last week. I'm pretty friggin' excited about this one. I'm going to use this to work through installation ideas more quickly. I'm also probably going to turn some of these mini-installations into stereoscopic images. It will work as another fold of space. I built the diorama to scale with the working walls of mt studio.

No comments: